Monday 26 September 2016

The Whispers of a Memory

Present but in the past,
A reality once lived but now felt like a healing scar.
She was a memory,
A reminder of what was,
An echo of remembrance,
Gentle like the rays of a setting sun,
Rhythmic like the waves at sea,
Just within earshot like a September wind,
She lingered.
Like a long awaited tight embrace, released.
Like a dream moments after you awake, slipping.
Just within reach like the lyrics to a melody forgotten.
Present but in the past.
A reality once lived but now felt like a healing scar.
The whispers of a memory.

xoxo
Chido Dziva Chikwari

I lost a good friend of mine early this year. There are gentle reminders of her everywhere. I stumble upon pictures of us when I look though my gallery. I think about her when I have questions to ask about parenting; when is a good time to start potty training? Sometimes there are conversations to be had where I feel only she would have understood. There were places we had planned to go and things we had wanted to do. She is gone now but remains with me still. I guess the toughest bit is when I think about her and then remember that she is gone. I can’t send her a random Whatsapp message anymore and the only place when she is truly alive is in my memories but even those begin to fade with time.  



No comments:

Post a Comment