Thursday 29 May 2014

In Need of an Attitude Adjustment


“You are in need…
In need of an attitude adjustment,
A mental shift,
Perhaps, a renewing of the mind…”
He said.

He said,
I had to let go,
I had to reframe and reform how I viewed things,
To break away from my so called “realities”
And create new possibilities.
An attitude adjustment is what he called it.

He said I was in need,
As if I could magically erase all I thought to be true,
All that encapsulated MY mind,
MY thoughts,
MY feelings,
As if I could forget the past,
 The lessons I learnt,
The scars I still saw marred all over my being…
Fixed by an attitude adjustment,
He said.

“An attitude adjustment,
A mental shift,
Perhaps, a renewing of the mind…”
He said.

XOXO
Chido Dziva Chikwari

Have you ever had to listen to advice you really didn’t want to hear although you knew it was true? Have you ever heard words so honest and straight to the point that it becomes a little difficult to swallow? And although you’d like it to be so wrong you can’t find the words to contend with it, to adequately justify your actions or to stop the conversation mid air?

I recently had an encounter like that and the post tells the story. The moral of it all lies with how difficult it is to accept where your mistakes and your faults lie especially when they are sooo deeply rooted within how you have allowed/made yourself to believe things are.  It really isn’t easy and I’ve come to realise that an attitude adjustment is something easier said than done. The things we come to accept as truth are engraved and formed through many experiences over time and letting go of those things there and then kinda tears you apart because it challenges years of building blocks in creating your truth.  

So what do you do?

Post my experience I have decided to take a few steps in dealing with this ‘new truth’.

·         Step 1 - Analyse the advice. Play it over and over in my mind until I accept it to be true and not a mere attack on me.
·         Step 2 – Retrace. I have now begun a process of retracing where I could have gotten things wrong and hopefully through that I’ll start having light bulb moments that will help me remodel my age old beliefs.
·         Step 3 – Automatic attitude adjustment. (If my steps work)

It isn’t easy but I have feeling it makes all the difference.

Like I said earlier the truth is sometimes hard to take and oftentimes shooting the messenger is a much easier take, however, a lesson I also learnt from this is the value of a friend/brother/sister who tells you like it is. It can’t be easy on the other end being downright honest and today I accept that the hard truth actually comes from a place of love. Make it a point to cherish those that tell you like it is…they are often a rare find J

Shout out to the “HE” that told me I needed an attitude adjustment, my mom, my little sister and 90% of my friends for always telling me like it is.
The hard truth!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment