Wednesday 5 July 2017

Love and Marriage: Living through the Pain?

"The problem is you don't really know how to be a good wife" he said,
So casually as if I was supposed to accept.
To accept living through the pain.
To accept and expect broken promises and infidelity.
Was that what it meant to be good?
To be a wife?

"The problem is you've never really been in love" he said,
So casually as if I was supposed to accept.
To accept that love meant living through the pain.
To accept that I must hold on and endure despite broken promises and infidelity.
Is that what it means to be in love?
To be loved?

"I'd rather be alone" I said,
So casually because I had accepted,
Accepted that I deserved better than living through the pain.
Than holding on to being "good" where "love" no longer lived.
I refuse to accept broken promises, they are no good.
Infidelity is not love,
That is not what it means.

xoxo
Chido Dziva Chikwari

A friend of mine said to me that I do not know how to be a good wife. He said this because I had expressed that I would not be okay with my future husband seeing other women. Another male colleague said to me that I did not know what it meant to be in love when I asked why his wife had taken him back after she found out that he had, for years, been having an extra marital affair.

Now I acknowledge that I may be idealistic. I acknowledge that in life it may be easier said than done to walk away from a cheating spouse or partner. I appreciate that, however, I am against the notion that living through that betrayal and holding on despite that is an indication that you are "a good wife" or "in love".

Why have we made this acceptable and labeled it as such to the extent that I, a young woman,
am expected to not only accept but expect that my future husband will see other women? Why is it that I, despite the pain it may cause me day in and day out, am expected to be the one to "fight for my marriage" as if I am the one who has broken promises. For generations our mothers have lived through the pain. And likewise for generations our fathers have praised them for being good wives in the face of their infidelity. Why have we as societies allowed ourselves to get away with believing and doing this?

When faced with the concept or idea of marriage I am often afraid. I am afraid that one day I will have to live through that pain in the name of loving someone or being a good wife. I am so afraid that more often I have said to myself that I would rather be alone. It's a kind of heart ache I fear I will not be able to handle especially so from someone I love. Someone I have committed to and built a life with. It may be because I have been heartbroken before and know how that can shatter you even when you haven't made a commitment as big as marriage before your friends, family AND God.

I'm not sure if overall this is a situation that can be helped but for myself and my future husband (should that come to pass) I pray for better.

“Last night I wept. I wept because the process by which I have become woman was painful. I wept because I was no longer a child with a child's blind faith. I wept because my eyes were opened to reality....I wept because I could not believe anymore and I love to believe. I can still love passionately without believing. That means I love humanly. I wept because I have lost my pain and I am not yet accustomed to its absence.” 
Anaïs Nin, Henry and June

Keep Shining!

12 comments:

  1. Well I think you will be an amazing wife if you do choose to get married . I agree love is not broken promises and infidelity. We live in such a broken world where sin rules marriages, families, communities and countries etc. till we meet our maker we will encounter sin in its ugly forms and pain and suffering is guranteed in this age. I hope to love and be loved by my future spouse but I know he will fail at times. I pray even then that through love : forgiveness , forbearance that he will be drawn to repentance through the love of Christ through me . I will also harm him and cause him pain and suffering and pray he will be a channel through which God's grace saves me from the pit of sin as the only cure to sin is Christ .... But you are right everyone has a choice , to marry or not and each have its own merits and demerits , one is not greater than the other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Definatedoctor,

      Thank you so much for your kind words :) You are so right about how we are living in a broken world. Everything you have said has reminded me how no one is perfect and through and through we all need grace.

      The question for me is not about to marry or not. I definitely hope that one day I will find the man who sweeps me off my feet and actually convinces me to get married. It's more about how we, as young women, are told by our mothers, aunts, grandmothers and men themselves that 'these things happen and we must accept and live through them'. That is not okay. That will never be okay. I may love you and I may find the grace to forgive you but that doesn't make it okay and neither does that make me 'a good wife'.

      Thank you so much for reading and sharing your thoughts. Sadly like you put it 'till we meet our maker we will encounter sin in its ugly forms and pain and suffering is guaranteed in this age'.

      Keep shining :)

      Delete
  2. Its an interesting read. I completely agree with you, even though I acknowledge I am very idealistic in doing so:). Can we change the entire world though? Maybe start with teaching our sons and brothers to be better men, and our daughters and sisters to not accept less than they should, and hopefully in a couple of generations we will have have a society that doesn't encourage affairs as a masculine rite of passage, and doesn't force our daughters to be submissive to mediocrity. And please nobody quote Eph 5: 22 to me , haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... Eph 5:22 is not bad Tanya... it's how it's been made known to us and application that's wrong. Talk to me later I will explain.xoxo

      Delete
    2. Hi Tanyaradzwa,

      This is soo true. We really can't change the narrative of the entire world but like you rightly put we know we can definitely start with ourselves and then our own sons and daughters. I read a quote that I really loved this week by June Jordan and she said, "We are the ones we've been waiting for." I that sense I suppose it is not about them but it is up to us! :)

      Thank you for reading.

      Keep Shining!

      Delete
    3. Hi Abigail,

      I'd really love to hear more about Eph 5:22 and how it would apply in this context. Submission isn't an easy thing to do and yet the bible tells us that the husband is the head and we submit. If you can please share.

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Biochemical changes were found in the blood of treated patients that upheld the pain decrease advantage. where to buy cbd oil in indianapolis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. https://saigonlscruises.com/person-living-to-get-people/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sacroiliac Injuries are an extremely regular physical issue that causes transmitting leg pain. what is cbd hemp extract

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. products for pain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to explore and compose so well. I am exceptionally awed with your vision and knowledge. cbd for pain

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy to see the considerable subtle element here!. vape attic olathe

    ReplyDelete