Wednesday 25 September 2013

My Global Giving UK Interview



Overseas Evaluation Programme – Reports from the Field

Why did you apply to be a part of the Overseas Evaluation Program? What advice would you give for any prospective volunteers?

The Overseas Evaluation Programme is such a great initiative for anyone who wants to volunteer and gain exposure to so many different NGO fields. I must say that I got a whole lot more than I had bargained for! Volunteering actually served as an evaluation of myself and my personal goals as well as a re-evaluation of my home country, Zimbabwe.

To anyone who is considering volunteering through this program I would say DO IT!! It truly is a great way to learn while being a part of something bigger than yourself.

Your visits to Zimkids and The Island Hospice must have offered contrasting insights into the hope and despair involved in grass roots initiatives. How has your trip influenced your perceptions of charity work?

For starters I really thought I knew it all before my project visits. I thought I knew exactly where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. I couldn't have been further from the truth. I understand that the need is often much greater than initially perceived.

Zimkids and Island Hospice were definitely two extreme contrasts. I absolutely loved Zimkids. It was my first project visit and I enjoyed spending my days with the children. The center is a much needed escape from the reality of home life – kids are allowed to be kids; to have fun. However, at the opposite end of the spectrum my time spent at Island Hospice was extremely solemn. I got an understanding of how great a need there is, and how grassroots projects are really pulling at their bootstraps to offer support. As is the case with Island Hospice, donor funds can significantly decrease without warning and this can drastically affect your work. Global Giving is already assisting in these areas through providing much needed training for all their project partners and this is a great help. The opportunity to learn from peers from all over the world doing similar work is truly infallible.

You say in your blog that you wanted to contribute to the country that raised you. What have been your impressions on returning to Zimbabwe?

Returning to Zimbabwe was marked with a lot of mixed feelings. Of course it was great to come back home after so long but things were not exactly as I had imagined. Being in England exposed me to so many things including a functioning health care system that’s virtually free to everyone, a functioning transport system that is efficient and can actually be trusted and an education system that’s in an exceptional class of it’s own. All of these elements are things that have long since deteriorated in Zimbabwe. Good health care is only for those who can afford it, the public transport system is a nightmare and the standards for primary, secondary and tertiary education in government institutions leave a lot to be desired. Coming face to face with the stark differences was painful and with each encounter I kept asking myself, “Why?” and “What can I do?” It hasn't been easy to take in and there is a lot that needs to be done. I've been left with a lot more questions than answers but still believe that I have a role to play in building a better Zimbabwe and I am even more determined to do so one way or another. I love my country.

What has been particularly exciting about your trip so far? Have there been hardships?

Although I grew up in Zimbabwe, Global Giving has led me to explore cities and villages that I otherwise would never have discovered. I have experienced first-hand different Zimbabwean languages and cultures. It was amazing to go out into communities where I was a ‘foreigner’ and I really enjoyed meeting so many different people with such diverse and unique stories to tell. Although I spent just one week with each project I have made friends that I will be in touch with for years to come and I have engaged with inspirational leaders that have become pivotal to my future development. As a result one of the hardest things for me was having to leave each project at the end of the week. I very easily got attached to all my projects and their work and felt there was always more I could have done to help had I had the time and resources.

One critical hardship was slow internet connectivity here in Zimbabwe. It makes it very difficult to effectively and efficiently use Global Giving as it is an online platform. I feel the majority of my projects were not able to and will not be able to benefit fully from Global Giving as a result of this.

I am so excited about Global Giving and I would love to see more grassroots projects in Zimbabwe becoming Global Giving partners.

XoXo
Chido Dziva Chikwari 

No comments:

Post a Comment