Friday 21 October 2016

A Heart Grown Cold

 It was the things you said,
Your words.
They tore me down and they stripped me bare.
You spat them out and gave them life.
They landed on my soul,
And began to weigh down on me.
Like a piece of clothing draped over my body,
I wore them.
It was the things you said.
You made my heart grow cold.

It was the promises you made.
They lifted me up and gave me hope.
They made me believe and into us I poured.
I poured my whole being,
My life, my love.
I emptied into those promises,
And when the end appeared,
Those promised you made, like a light turned off,
Left me empty with a heart grown cold.

It was the way you made me feel.
Your touch enamoured my being,
And like a dove in flight, I soared.
High on the wings of endearment.
Oblivious of the storm clouds rolling in,
And the distant thunder that roared,
I basked,
In the folly that is our flesh.  
An external existence, disconnected to the soul
And as the flood waters flowed over my skin,
Detached from a heart grown cold,
Reality left me washed clean.
It was the way you made me feel.

xoxo
Chido Dziva Chikwari

I dug this up from the archives. It was initially incomplete but some spur of inspiration helped me finish it up. I love it and in spite of that I really don’t know how I could ‘explain’ it without taking away from it. Hope you enjoyed it as is. Emotions from the past can be so amusing sometimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment