Friday 28 October 2016

A Piece for Someone Special: Thank You

You are like our guardian angel,
Always present and working diligently behind the scenes,
The unsung hero.
You are always on call!
Be it 12am and one of us hears something suspicious outside,
Or 1pm and we get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere,
Or maybe the baby gets sick and I'm hysterical, whatever time!
You have picked us up from school, airports and even dates,
You have taken us out - Hope Masike, Jah Prayzah etc etc
You have sat with us in hospital waiting rooms,
And God knows where else before we were old enough to know.
Sometimes we are guilty of forgetting that you actually have a job,
Or a life of your own - friends and the like.
Aunty for hire, I've heard.
You know us best,
Our sneaky naughty ways (I shall not give details),
Our worries, our hopes, our desires.
I guess what I am trying to say is thank you.
Thank you for always being there.
Thank you for calming my fears when Dr Google scares me.
Thank you for taking me out for lunch when I'm craving KFC.
Thank you for replying panicky Whatsapp messages every other week,
No details necessary, our lips are sealed!
Thank you for always having our backs.
On behalf of all your children,
You are like our guardian angel,
Always present and working diligently behind the scenes,
The unsung hero.
Thank you!

xoxo
Chido Dziva Chikwari 

This piece is dedicated to a very very very special super woman. I shall not mention her name but anyone who is close enough to me or my family will know exactly who she is. There is no one quite like her and for the longest time I've felt so indebted to her and even till today I don't know what I could ever do to express how grateful I am for everything that she does for me and everyone else too. She is a strong woman who takes all the flak but tactfully keeps the wheels on. I don't know what I'd do without her sometimes and pray that when I'm grown (Yes I'm still growing) I can have the kind of strength that she has, her selflessness when it comes to looking out for those dear to me and also enough 'free' time to always be 'available' when my children need a hand. 

Disclaimer!!! - lest I get a thorough reprimand (lol)

She isn't the only one, I have many mothers who no matter what is going on their lives are willing to lay it all aside for me. I have seen and experienced this first hand and over the past two years I have learnt kukosha kwaAmai. Not only because I am now a mother in my own right but for some reason all the little things that my own mother does for me are now amplified. It is true what they say that hapana akakosha saAmai (there is no one as important as a mother). Whe
n I look at my life I cannot imagine where I would be without my mother, I know beyond doubt that Mama would sooner go hungry herself or walk around naked before I am fed and clothed. Mama is the one person who I know would believe in me when no one else in the world does, I know she would vouch for me when the odds are stacked against me and I know that kana zvadii I know I can always lean on her. I owe her my life, literally, and thinking about everything she has done and sacrificed for me, my siblings and our family brings me to tears.

This is all fact but the truth is we often forget to express these feelings and this post serves as I tiny expression for me and I hope it sparks in you the will to also express gratitude to all those around you that serve you selflessly daily :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment