Friday 26 July 2013

Three lessons I learnt Yesterday....

Yesterday started off as another ordinary day, unique in its own way as always.... It had it's own voice and teachings and as I lay in bed last night I drew from three encounters:

Lesson #1)

"I am attracted to peoples minds. Show me you can think..."

I met a guy today...
(Okay that is not the whole story but it makes for a great beginning.....)

He was different from the sort of guy I would call attractive. He was overweight, on the dark end of the spectrum and really hairy. Not my cup of tea. He was with a friend though and his friend was the complete opposite. The kind of guy you politely smile at and silently pray he notices you.

Anyway I was also with a friend who sort of knew them so at the initial encounter I just smiled politely and looked away ;) We were walking in the same direction and to avoid all awkwardness I snatched out my phone and attempted to look adsorbed. After a bit I noticed that the 'fat' guy was carrying a book I recently bought ( Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie). I was pleasantly surprised and asked him about the book. He told me how this was his second run though and all of a sudden conversation began to flow from one element to the next. We spoke about books, formal education in regards to entrepreneurship, career prospects and  life opportunities... (a special selection of things that get my blood rushing)

5 minutes on we reached an intersection and had to part ways. As my friend and I walked away my mind drifted off and I realized that a five minute conversation had literally infiltrated my heart and altered the way I viewed and reverenced someone. This fat guy had made an impact in my life and although it is unlikely, if I ever bumped into him again I would actually be very enthused and eager to have a chat.

So the lesson I learnt, besides the fact that anyone who reads will get 10 extra brownie points in my books, was that a significant amount of my attraction to someone has nothing to do with how they look. Show me you can think and I'll immediately be drawn to you...appearances aside what kept the conversation going and left a lasting impression was intellect. {NOTE: This has relation to Lesson #2}.

P.S. If buy some really freaky coincidence the guy I met on the metro to West Jesmond yesterday wearing a navy blue T shirt and holding Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie  gets to read this blog I would like to say Thank you. Thank you for reading, for great conversation and for yesterdays Lesson #1.



Lesson #2)

"Greatness in our midst. If only I had recognized you... "

As I was going through twitter last night I realized that I had met someone kinda famous. He may not be like famous famous but he is really iconic to me and the thing is about 10 months ago I actually met this man at an event but didn't recognize him. We were introduced and shared pleasantries for a bit. In contrast to lesson #1, who he was didn't jump up to me and that encounter went straight to the archive of 'Not that Significant'. 

The man I'm speaking of is what my cousin described as a 'Twitter Guru'. He stands as a voice for young Zimbabweans dealing with many of our issues ranging from politics and elections, current affairs and general outlooks on life be it education, sex or poverty. His influence and reach is growing unequivocally and although I said previously that he may not be famous famous I strongly believe that he is headed there.

The moment it actually hit me that I had met this man  and not known I felt so defeated. I felt like although I had met him I had missed out on a great opportunity. An opportunity to speak with him personally about some of the issues he has raised that I am passionate about, an opportunity to get an autograph or a picture taken or even the opportunity to just be star struck for just a little while. The disappointment that overcame me was insurmountable and as I was laying in bed I started to extrapolate this encounter. I thought about the opportunities I may have missed out on because I didn't recognize them, because they never heralded themselves as a GREAT OPPORTUNITY. I thought about God and Jesus and asked myself if I would be able to recognize Jesus if he walked into a room? I know he is the Son of God and I reverence who he is and what he has done but up until now He and I have never physically met. I read his word, just like those twitter and blog posts but would I miss my moment to have that desired interaction when we actually come face to face because I failed to recognize him?

I'm not sure what the lesson here is but I suppose it could be something along the lines of oftentimes greatness is discreetly lurking in our midst  and we must never take anyone or any encounter for granted. 

Thank you to Sir Nigel for @263Chat. I hope one day we will be able to meet again but in the meantime thank you for yesterdays Lesson #2, for creating a platform for Zimbabweans like myself, for your forum and your voice. 

Lesson #3) 

"When it's time to go it's time to go. Go!"

One of my errands yesterday was to buy my flight ticket back home. The moment that transaction was completed it all began to sink in. Subconsciously I have been prolonging leaving Newcastle for a while now and the reasons for this are varied but none of them link up to not wanting to go home. I love Zimbabwe and I cannot wait to get back BUT in three years I have grown attached to a place I never thought I'd appreciate so much. I have grown love the friends I made. I had settled into a nice cozy lifestyle...my small room, my daily routines, the narrow streets and Great Britain. It's not so much that I want to stay but it's the realization that once it's goodbye it's goodbye. I know I will never come back to living this student life and that once I board that flight it will be the official seal to this season. 

The past three years have been amazing. I have grown so much and what I carry from my time here cannot be summarized but now clearly the season is over and it's time to move on. I have to expectantly look forward to the next season and chapter of my life. My story doesn't end here and I know there are greater things in store for me so it's best I get going.

This brings me to my final point: Everyone has been telling me there are no jobs in Zimbabwe and how I should try by all means to to stay here. There may be a significant truth in all that, however, there is a very specific reason why God is sending me back to Zimbabwe. He will make room for me where I need to be. Jobs or no jobs and when it's time to go it's time to go!! 

The thing is holding onto the familiar and the comfort of where you are at will stunt your growth and hinder your progress. In order to advance sometimes you have to step out into the unknown. In order to receive oftentimes you have to let go of what you are holding onto. Never allow yourself to be your own limiting factor. Change isn't always bad and if I had never left the only home I ever knew ( despite the fear and uncertainty of where I was headed) I would not have experienced Newcastle. I would not be the Chido I am today. 

Go!


XOXO 
Chido Dziva Chikwari 




1 comment:

  1. God indeed has a plan. Trust in Him always...

    ReplyDelete