Wednesday 11 June 2014

Why I write


I write as a release,
As if putting it on paper will deliver me.

I write to understand,
As if articulating it will help me see the bigger picture,
The paper - a blank canvas…united with the pen,
My thoughts on display so I can see.

I write to preserve,
My memories so slippery they can easily be forgotten,
lost…
So I write to store them,
To freeze my thoughts and my emotions in time,
So that one day I can remember I write.

I write to express,
Where spoken word can often fail me,
I put my voice on paper,
Where it can be heard loudly by those who care to read.

I write as a release,
As if putting it on paper will deliver me.


xoxo
Chido Dziva Chikwari

Somebody asked me why I have a blog. Why I put stuff online where everyone can see it and not in a diary. Of course I do have a diary but why the blog? I never managed to give them an answer and up until now I guess it’s still a question awaiting a response. I’ve thought it through a few times and every possible answer doesn’t quite do it full justice, however, along the way I discovered why I write. Besides getting lost in time when I do it I feel as though writing is all the things above for me…a release, a think pad, a store and an expression point. I enjoy it and often I go through some of the things I’ve written in years past and think WOW, my words take me back in time and while I read the thoughts and the feelings from back then come alive and it’s as if I’m right back there when I wrote it. In that instance my writing serves as my experiences embalmed…preserved.  

With that said I guess in a way my writing can also be a part of me that remains when I’m gone. The legacy that I leave behind, the fragments and echo’s of Chido that will outlive me sprawled all over my blog for whatever reason.


Keep Shining  J

No comments:

Post a Comment