Thursday 27 June 2013

Global Giving: Zimbabwe Trip Summary


My goal is to make a difference and to contribute to the country that raised me, Zimbabwe.

After 8 hours on the coach, logistical nightmares, countless emails and numerous phone calls I was finally in London. This is just the beginning of the journey but Eleanor Harrison, CEO of GlobalGivingUK, continually reminds us to celebrate the small victories. I had made it and to me personally this was a (small) victory worth celebrating.

So WHY am I here? 



GlobalGivingUK is a small UK charity working at making a BIG difference world over by supporting grassroots non-profit organisations helping them to positively impact their communities and attain long term sustainability. They do this by connecting these projects to the resources they need to create change. These resources include: access to online fundraising platforms, access to learning opportunities to build skills and knowledge and access to support through a growing network of volunteers and corporate partners.

I have been granted the remarkable opportunity to be a part of this cause and this August I will be travelling back to where my heart lies, Zimbabwe, as a GlobalGivingUK overseas volunteer and Impact Assessor. This week past I spent 4 days doing some intense training with Eleanor and her wonderful team and this has both enlightened and equipped me to be effective in my role.

I cannot wait to be back in Zimbabwe and I am looking forward to working with the various projects I will be visiting. These encompass a mix of people working hard to assist and positively influence where the need is greatest despite the adverse circumstances waging against them. I will be visiting; among others:

  1.  ZimKids Orphan Trust
  2. ASAP Zimbabwe
  3. Island Hospice  and 
  4. Zimbabwe Educational Trust
Through my visits I am aiming to get a better understanding of these charities and their work, as well as their strengths, difficulties and challenges so as to determine how best GlobalGivingUK can assist in meeting their needs. 

I will be using this blog as a platform to document this journey as well as an opportunity for all who wish to; to travel to Zimbabwe with me. I will be sharing pictures, videos, life stories and testimonies from the people I meet as well as some personal feedback on all My Hearts Impressions while volunteering. 

I have also created a fundraiser page for all who would like to and can contribute financially to my trip. My goal is to raise £650 and I will be donating £400 to one project of my choosing (with your help of course). You can donate by following the link below, I promise you the process will not take more than 2 minutes of your time: http://www.globalgiving.co.uk/fundraisers/zimbabwe-impact-assesment/

Thank you for being a part of my journey. 

XOXO
Chido Dziva Chikwari 

P.S If you would like to find out more about GlobalGivingUK, the charities they support and how else you can get involved you can visit their web page at http://www.globalgiving.co.uk/  or their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GlobalGivingUK?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment