Tuesday 14 May 2013

They Need It More Than I Do

I thought I had a little
I thought I was struggling
I thought I needed help.
Until....
Until I went searching
Searching for someone to HELP ME!
What I found astounded me...
I discovered there are many of us.
Many of us searching
An ocean of people looking for help
Dozens and dozens of us with needs.
In that first instance it was like: "Quick, Join the Queue!"
How do I get myself to the front?
How do I get what I need first?
Then I looked around.
Checking out my 'competition'.
BUT!
But what I saw startled me. 
My heart broke
I was humbled
I drew back.
Why?
So many more people needed help more than I did
So many had deeper and more critical constraints than I
They needed it more than I did.
I realized how tiny and insignificant my needs were in the greater scope of things.
What I wanted was A LOT but its a different ball game when you see.
When you see the need of the next person being so basic.
Basic enough that I have it, have always had it
And yet,
and yet I take it for granted.
Never having considered it as significant.
Then I felt ashamed,
Why am I asking?
Why should anyone give me?
And in that instant things changed,
Instead of getting I just felt like giving now,
Giving the 'little' that I had...
In fact now I had A LOT,
More than enough
And they,
They needed it more than I did.
The challenge I pose today is for everyone to LOOK BEYOND themselves,
It's amazing the things you will discover.
In truth you are probably doing much better than you think you are.
In truth your problems probably aren't that big.
In truth you can Lend a Hand.
You can be the one to Help Someone.


 




XOXO
Chido Dziva Chikwari

Okay so this post was actually inspired by a real life experience were I felt exactly like I described but worse. I really felt bad for thinking I had a problem. For thinking that someone out there who has more than me should GIVE ME. When you get that slap in the face moment and realize the world is bigger than you and that there are people with problems greater than yourself it changes things. Also  when you find that YOU actually have the capacity to be that someone to help it's puzzling, humbling and awesome at the same time! I see my situation differently now, it kinda sucks that I'm not at the front of the 'pity' queue but its also great that I'm not doing half bad and that I can also help someone else. Bitter sweet moment I guess but yeah I'm going to act on what I learnt and I hope this will help someone else too. Just to make things clearer 'help' can be something like money or maybe even just being there for someone else, like being a friend or......... (I can't think of anything else right now but I hope you get my point).
God Bless!

Biblical References

Acts 20:35

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: It is more blessed to give than to receive.’"

No comments:

Post a Comment